2 by 2 Gaming
Big Time Gaming
Gold Coin Studios
Green Jade Games
Iron Dog Studio
Just For The Win
Light & Wonder
What are online casino game providers?
Casino software providers are the companies that develop the games and supply them to different casinos to offer their players.
Game providers – legal and safety requirements
The first thing that helps to guarantee your safety is the casino licensing system.
No casino software provider can operate in this industry without getting a license from one of the governing bodies.
Data security and safe play are a couple of other important areas that these game providers need to think about.
For example, they need to ensure that their games can be played safely without causing the player’s personal information to be at risk.
Fairness of games
No one wants to play a game if there’s zero chance of walking away with a prize.
A good casino games provider will make games that offer players a chance of winning but that also make money for casinos in the long run.
These games need to be completely fair and random, and thankfully there are organisations that help to ensure that they stick to the highest standards.
Testing agencies like Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) and its subsidiary, Technical Systems Testing (TST), eCOGRA, NMi, BMM Testlabs and Gaming Associates carry out regular, independent testing of casino games.
The casino software providers set the return to player (RTP) for their games, and it is then up to the casinos to decide which ones to offer.
Based on millions of spins, this number tells us, in theory, the percentage of all player stakes that are likely to be returned in wins.
The more you play, the closer your results should be to this number, based on the law of large numbers.
Casino Software Providers – Did you know?
Did you know that you can use a tool called Slot Tracker to help find the slots with the best RTP? This offers a more practical approach than having to look for the RTP figure given by each game provider.
Introducing the biggest names in the industry
Many different companies offer online casino games in the UK, and some of them have become firmly established as favourites among British players.
New games by these providers are always early awaited, while their existing titles tend to remain popular long after their release.
So what makes them so popular among players?
What makes a game provider great?
There are some key factors that elevate a casino games provider to the top of this industry.
Quality and quantity of titles
This is a huge factor. A top-notch provider will have an extensive, varied portfolio covering many themes, but the quality should remain consistent at all times.
Another important factor that’s key to staying at the top of the casino software industry is constant innovation.
For example, in the fast-moving slots industry, a provider may create a new type of layout or introduce ground-breaking features that players love.
The perfect example?
This allows more people to play games in a way that suits their lifestyle.
A great casino game should look equally great and be easy to play on any device.
Combined with a fun design, this makes up a crucial part of all casino games too.
British players want a game that is very easy to get started on and that puts a smile on their faces.
For example, the Big Bad Wolf!
These are also part of the appeal of the very best casino game providers.
This is important to players, as a high RTP means a better chance of winning money in the long run. Check out our list of slots with a high RTP here.
The most innovative games providers
They tend to opt for a light-hearted style with interesting bonuses on their slots, together with features like four connected reels.
Their newest games include Chocolates, Slots Vegas Megaquads and Star Clusters MegaClusters.
While their games collection isn’t as big as that of some other developers’, they are featured on many of the top British casinos and seem to be growing all the time.
Other big names that can be recognised as bringing a touch of innovation to the industry include the following:
In any list of best online casino software providers, we’ve got to mention NetEnt and their incredible run of awards.
Founded in Sweden, this firm has received international recognition from many different organisations over the years.
Their latest titles include Aloha! Christmas, Divine Fortune Megaways and Rage of the Seas, and they also create table games and live casino titles.
A huge number of awards have also been picked up by other big game providers.
IGT has regularly earned praise in the industry, both for their online slots and land-based machines.
As one of the longest-standing casino software providers, Microgaming has earned huge amounts of praise in the industry. Their unbeatable range of games includes classics like Mega Moolah and Immortal Romance.
The most prolific casino game creators
Some providers create more than just one genre of games. These top all-round casino providers produce slots, RNG table games, live casino games, Bingo and other types of games.
If it’s a huge variety of games you are after, don’t look further than Playtech.
This popular casino game provider has tons of slots and table games that have stood the test of time and that are to be found on most of the big casinos for British players.
This casino game provider is perhaps best-known for its licensed slots inspired by superheroes and blockbuster movies like King Kong and The Matrix.
The most recent Playtech releases bring players Rubik’s Cube, Adventures Beyond Wonderland and Live Football Roulette.
But Playtech isn’t the only provider with a huge catalogue of interesting games.
Microgaming has been around long enough to bring out an extensive collection of highly varied titles that cover just about every type of casino game.
If you love playing casino games on a mobile phone or tablet then ELK Studios is a name to look out for. This developer creates visually stunning games that look wonderful on mobile devices.
Their latest titles are Katmandu Gold, Nitropolis and Visitors.
The trend for making mobile-optimised casino games has also ensured that you can enjoy games from the following companies wherever you roam.
NetEnt have put some of their best games into the Touch series that is specifically for mobile users.
BetSoft’s top games also look excellent on the smaller screen of a phone or tablet.
The best providers for slots
If you’re looking for the very best slots provider, you might want to check out the stunning games from Pragmatic Play.
They create games based on fascinating themes with a myriad of features that bring them alive.
You will soon find other providers that you also enjoy. Keep an eye out for the following names in this industry:
- Play’n GO – one of the leading game providers in the world, Play’n GO is known for games with the highest quality graphics and outstanding game features.
- Quickspin – with a fairly small but stylish collection of slots, this provider has managed to keep its standards very high.
- Thunderkick – you’ll see a unique touch in this company’s slots, with some clever little visual elements that make them seem a little more realistic than others.
- Playtech’s branded slots give players an instant connection with the games, as they are based on the movies, shows, and characters that they already love.
- Microgaming is a name to look out for if you dream of winning a progressive jackpot. Mega Moolah is constantly noted as one of the industry leaders in this respect.
- Nolimit City – Nolimit has quickly propelled to the forefront when it comes to online slots in the UK. This provider is known for creating “shock slots” with truly unique themes such as Mental, Tombstone R.I.P., and Punk Toilet.
The best providers for live casino games
There is no doubt that Evolution Gaming has been at the forefront of the recent growth in live casino games.
Their classy set-ups exude a genuine casino atmosphere, and their range of live dealer tables allow you to try out innovative variants of blackjack, roulette and more.
When you find a UK live casino, there is a good chance that at least some of their games come from Evolution.
Among the hottest new releases in their collection, they have released Live Craps, Mega Ball and Crazy Time in 2020.
Evolution isn’t the only one of the live casino software providers you’ll come across.
- NetEnt brings their unique approach to Blackjack, Roulette and Baccarat games with human dealers.
- Playtech has a hugely varied live casino offering that covers Quantum Roulette, Ultimate Blackjack, as well as more commonly-seen table games.
- Authentic Gaming is famous for bringing land-based Roulette to online casinos, by streaming the games from casino resorts worldwide.
Other big names in the industry
The companies that we’ve looked at so far are undoubtedly some of the biggest and best online casino software providers.
Yet, there are quite a few other developers in this area that are worth checking out. You could look at the following list of casino software providers as being the best of the rest.
They might lack that little something special to put them in with the elite names mentioned earlier, but at the same time, they offer some terrific games.
- Novomatic tend to provide simple but appealing games that are easy to pick up. Book of Ra is possibly their highest-profile slot that you will come across on your casino travels.
- Barcrest comes from a land-based slot background and its most enduring online slot is the famous Rainbow Riches. You’ll see this leprechaun-filled romp on many casinos and in a variety of different versions.
- WMS has a powerful reputation in the industry thanks to the way that they helped bring modern slots online. Right now, their top games include Raging Rhino and some cute Monopoly tie-ins.
- NextGen is a company that licenses out many of its games to other brands, so you might not see their name too often on their own titles. However, the Medusa and Jackpot Jester titles have been popular enough to encourage a series of sequels.
- Bally produce intriguing slots that are easy on the eye and often have interesting mechanics. Among them are several Egyptian-themed slots and the Titanic game based on the blockbuster movie.
- EGT started out in Bulgaria and is now present in many global markets. Their slots include 100 Super Hot, 2 Dragons, and 40 Lucky King.
- Aristocrat is mainly known for its land-based slot collection, but they also have some tasty online slots such as Queen of the Nile and Red Baron.
- Yggdrasil is a slots-focused provider that has already turned heads thanks to exciting slots like Vikings Go Berzerk and Valley of the Gods.
- Merkur Gaming – this German company has a long history and is particularly strong on action-adventure slots like Coffee House Mystery and Agent Istanbul.
- NYX Interactive is another big casino games developer that has a focus on slots. Their best slots are titles such as California Gold and Irish Eyes.
- SG Digital is a name you’ll see at a lot of British casinos. They are part of the Scientific Games Group and you’ll see this name mentioned for games like Raging Rhino Rampage and Monopoly Electric Wins.
- Ash Gaming is based in the UK and their collection covers a number of Batman slots as well as the popular Chests of Plenty and Full Moon Fortunes.
- Blueprint Gaming – their selection is quirky and varied, ranging from big-name licensed slots with eye-catching features to sweet and simple efforts.
- Boongo isn’t such a big name in the UK market yet, but their immersive slots provide a high-quality gaming experience. Look out for titles such as Age of Caesar and Fruity Wild.
- Bulletproof is a UK company that creates their own slots and table games, as well as designing them for other companies. Blackbeard and Tiki Runner are among their most famous games to date.
- iSOFTBet is a prolific casino slots provider that has a lot of TV tie-ins in their portfolio, with the style and quality varying pretty widely on them.
- Red Tiger – this slot provider has a focus on Asian-styled games but has also produced slots based on superheroes and other types of slots adventures as well as table games. In recent years, Red Tiger has also been running must-drop jackpots on some of their slots, with jackpots guaranteed to fall daily, weekly or monthly!
- Lightning Box – a newer online game provider with online slots featuring lightning spins in every game.
Online Casino Providers: Did you know?
Did you know that you can also use the Slot Tracker tool to check out things like hit rate, bonus frequency and actual RTP rates? This means that you can track how players are doing on slots by different providers using one and the same tool.
Choosing the right online casino is not the only thing to do in order to enjoy an exciting and safe gaming experience online. One must also look for the best casino providers that offer the most rewarding and enjoyable games.
Just get started by looking for a licensed software company that suits your style and you will be off to a great start.