Apple Pay Casinos
Bank Transfer Casinos
Instant Banking Casinos
Paysafe Card Casinos
Rapid Transfer Casinos
How Secure are your Payment Details when Playing at an Online Casino?
By now, the absolute vast majority of us have paid for an item online from the likes of Amazon or eBay, and to facilitate that, we chose a payment method that was available to us.
From debit cards to e-wallets, the range of payment methods is wide-ranging – and the good news is that the best online casinos accept a diverse selection of payment options.
At CasinoHawks, we only promote the safest online casinos that are licensed by the leading authorities in the industry, such as the UK Gambling Commission.
Coupled with the most reputable payment methods, this ensures complete security in your gaming.
Most Common Payment Methods Online in the UK
As we’ve discovered, the most common online casino payment methods fall under the heading of the ‘big three’: e-wallets, debit cards, and bank transfers. (Credit card payment is no longer allowed in the UK.)
Here’s a list of the most popular casino payment methods for UK players:
|Payment Service Provider||Type||Average Deposit Time||Average Withdrawal Time||Provider’s Transaction Fees||Casinos|
|VISA Debit||debit card||10 minutes||2 days||2%||VISA casinos|
|Mastercard Debit||debit card||15 minutes||3 days||1.5%||Mastercard Casinos|
|PayPal||e-wallet||10 minutes||Up to 24 hours||0%||PayPal casinos|
|Skrill||e-wallet||10 minutes||Up to 24 hours||1%||Skrill casinos|
|Neteller||e-wallet||10 minutes||Up to 24 hours||2.5%||Neteller casinos|
|PaysafeCard||prepaid card||10 minutes||no withdrawals possible||0%||Paysafecard Casinos|
|Bank Transfer||Bank Transfer||30 minutes||2-4 days||depends on the bank||Bank Transfer Casinos|
Did you know?
Many casino sites have a good range of payment methods available on their sites.
The Different Types of Casino Payment Methods
As we’ve seen, there are many different types of casino payment methods, all with their advantages and disadvantages.
Then there are those which are slightly harder to define but still very much worthy of your consideration.
Below we have published a payment methods list of the options that are most popular in the UK, and specifically those which are beloved by casino gamers for their speed, security, and ease of use:
- Debit Cards
- Mobile Apps
- Bank Transfers
- Prepaid Cards and Vouchers
The most widely-used of the online casino payment methods, debit cards remain the gold standard for their processing speeds and the added security that they bring.
But we need to emphasise that due to changes in gambling regulation, Credit cards can no longer be used for casino payments in UK (as of 14th April 2020).
● Visa Debit– Arguably the most accepted payment method by online casinos, Visa offers speed of deposit and safety.
Deposit using a Visa debit card and your funds will hit your casino account almost instantly.
And the added security of Visa Secure (formerly known as Verified by Visa) is also very welcome.
● Mastercard debit– It should be noted off the bat that you can usually only deposit into a casino account using MasterCard debit.
Withdrawals are typically not accepted via your Mastercard, and so you may need to choose a different payment method to take out your winnings.
However, it is still a smart move to use MasterCard as your deposit option, with rapid transaction speeds and the added security of the SecureCode enhanced safety features.
● Maestro Card – Like MasterCard, it’s rare that you can make a withdrawal from an online casino using your Maestro.
However, deposits are typically free and again you’ll have to use your unique SecureCode to action a payment, which adds a layer of security to the process.
● Interac – While most commonly used in Canada, Interac is available from some UK banking institutions and basically acts as a ‘middle man’ between your bank account and your chosen casino site.
Interac is considered ultra-secure because you never have to reveal your bank details to the casino, and all transactions are protected by the security features installed by the casino site and your bank too.
● AstroPay Card – This is a prepaid debit card option, where you fund your card using your bank details before then making a deposit into a casino account.
Again, there’s no need to share your sensitive personal banking data when using AstroPay, and that’s why this payment method appeals to so many players.
Increasingly popular with internet users seeking anonymity in their payments, cryptocurrencies also offer incredible safety too, thanks to their private security key system.
Unfortunately, at the moment it is very difficult for casinos licensed by the UKCG to accept cryptocurrency payments. Although they are not banned, the measures they have to comply with make it near-impossible.
● Bitcoin – If a casino accepts cryptocurrency as a payment method, it is most likely that Bitcoin will be top of the list.
This is the most common form of the currency, and while deposits/withdrawals may take longer to process than other forms of payment they are at least safe and completely anonymous.
● Ethereum – This is the leading ‘alt coin’ to Bitcoin, and Ethereum offers many of the same benefits as its chief rival – namely security and anonymity, plus a recognised and enjoyable way to spend your ETH.
● Ripple – While not as widely accepted as Bitcoin and Ethereum, some casino sites in the UK will let you use your Ripple – or XRP to give the coin its correct abbreviation – to deposit and withdraw into and from your account.
● Stellar – Another fairly uncommon but still welcome payment method is Stellar, the provider of the cryptocurrency known as XLM. You can deposit and withdraw funds using this coin.
Where speed is key, e-wallets are often the choice of casino gamers.
Deposits are often instantaneous, allowing you to get up and running with your favourite games in the quickest possible time.
Withdrawals tend to be quicker than with other payment methods online, as well.
● PayPal – The most popular choice for UK players is PayPal, an ultra-secure e-wallet that ensures rapid payments. Deposits are fee-free too!
● Skrill – Formerly known as MoneyBookers, you can fund your Skrill account in a number of different ways, and this payment method is accepted by the vast majority of casino sites.
● Neteller – Devised specifically for online gaming, Neteller remains as one of the leading online casino payment methods. You can deposit and withdraw with Neteller, and in good time too.
● Much Better– an award-winning payment app and e-wallet that is increasing in popularity worldwide, Much Better is a secure payment method that guarantees “fast transactions, smooth withdrawals and exclusive rewards“
● Jeton – Jeton is an easy-to-use e-wallet based in the UK that’s gaining in popularity across online casinos. This payment is safe and fully-regulated, and there are no fees involved in deposit or withdrawing with it.
● Revolut – You can fund your Revolut using Visa and MasterCard, and this app is used to allow you to add money to your casino account without sharing your sensitive information. That said, this has become increasingly difficult in the UK since Revolut has suspended all gambling transactions.
● Pay by Phone – This ingenious payment method is little known by many, but actually lets you deposit into your casino accounts using your phone bill – the amount will simply appear on your next bill. You cannot withdraw using Pay by Phone.
● Zimpler – This handy app lets you connect your bank and casino accounts together without sharing any sensitive data. It’s quick and secure, and keeps you safe when spending online.
● PayPal Mobile App – PayPal have their own dedicated app, and that increase your security online by adding a passcode into the mix as an added safety layer.
● Skrill App – You can action your Skrill account online or on the purpose-built app, depositing, and withdrawing funds with the minimum of fuss.
● Neteller App – If you want a dedicated Neteller solution that doesn’t require you to fire up your internet browser, you can always download their app and make transactions from there.
● Boku – If ultimate security is what you’re looking for, how about Boku? The only thing you share with your online casino is your mobile phone number!
While considered by some as slightly old-fashioned in an age of ultra-fast card and e-wallet transactions, bank transfers are reliable and secure, which makes them ideal for those who don’t want to use their debit cards for gaming purposes.
● Bank Transfers – While not necessarily the quickest form of online payment, bank transfers are at least incredibly safe as they use the extra security protocol that your financial institution has implemented.
Now, many casino sites accept fast bank transfers, a process which – as you’ve probably guessed – accelerates the process somewhat.
● Wire Transfers – A wire transfer is essentially the same as a bank transfer, although, in this case, your funds would typically be sent internationally rather than from one UK bank account to another.
● Trustly – Trustly is actually a technology provider used by the likes of PayPal to conduct payments, but they have their own product too that casino gamers can use as one of their preferred payment methods online.
● iDEAL – This banking option is an e-commerce platform that’s widely used in the Netherlands, which redirects customers to their online banking in order to complete payments
● Giropay – Another traditional bank transfer platform, Giropay is hugely popular in Germany where it is used as an intermediary between banking institutions and online casino sites.
● POLi Payments – Australia and New Zealand’s bank transfer system of choice. POLi is a ‘pay anyone’ platform that brings together your bank and casino in a secure environment.
Prepaid Cards, Coupons, and Vouchers
When topping up your casino account, it gets no safer than with a prepaid card or voucher.
With these, you don’t share your bank details with a third party nor debit card number.
Instead, your voucher will have a unique code that you simply enter in your dashboard to make a deposit into your gaming account.
● Paysafecard – With so many sites accepting paysafecard, this is truly one of the most common online casino payment methods.
Simply purchase a card online or via a local retailer in your town, and then redeem the value of the card at the casino operator using the unique 16-digit code.
● EcoPayz – EcoPayz have partnered with MasterCard to deliver their contactless card – the EcoCard, and this allows you to send money online instantly.
You can apply for an EcoCard without the need for a bank account.
Solutions to Common Casino Payment Issues
While the payments process is typically straightforward when depositing or withdrawing at an online casino, occasionally you may stumble upon the occasional issue.
Here’s a quick look at the solutions to the most common issues:
1. I can’t find where to verify my payment methods…
All of the information you need regarding verification is housed within your account dashboard at your chosen casino site. Search for your payment method name there, or check your inbox if the casino has a messaging service.
2. I can’t change the payment method on my account…
Within your dashboard, you will find a section dedicated to managing your payment methods online. You can change your primary payment method there.
3. I can’t remove my debit card from my account…
Within your account dashboard, you will see that you can modify or even delete options from your payment methods list.
4. In-game deposits from my mobile are not working…
Don’t panic, but certainly don’t try to repeatedly action a deposit – more than one payment may ultimately go through.
Your best options are to wait a while, because sometimes the issue may be at the operator’s end. Or to contact customer support directly.
5. I requested a withdrawal to my card. Why are the funds still available in my balance?
In this instance, the withdrawal probably hasn’t been actioned – this can happen on rare occasions. Simply request the withdrawal again or contact customer support for more information.
6. My latest deposit hasn’t been added to my account…
Sometimes deposits don’t happen instantly, so patience is your best tactic here.
But if the issue persists for 24 hours or more, contact customer support to see if they have a timeline or whether the payment hasn’t even been received.
DON’T deposit again unless you are happy to have two lots of money deposited into your account.
7. I am unable to withdraw my winnings…
There are a number of reasons why you might not be able to withdraw your winnings – most casino bonuses come with wagering requirements that need to be cleared first.
Check that your withdrawal amount is within the minimum/maximum withdrawal amount, and remember that not all payment methods actually allow withdrawals – some are deposit only. If in doubt, contact customer support.
8. I can’t cancel my withdrawal…
You can cancel a casino withdrawal up until the moment that the casino processes your transaction and sends the funds to your bank or onto your card. After that, sadly withdrawals cannot be cancelled, and you will have to deposit once again.
9. I didn’t receive my winnings in full…
Here’s another reminder that casino bonuses have unique terms and conditions which mean that you might not be able to withdraw all the money you want to.
Always read the T&Cs of an offer before accepting a promotion! If your winnings have been earned outside of a bonus, contact customer support with your query.
Casino Payments: Did you know?
The biggest online casino win in history is nearly £16 million on the Mega Fortune slot game. Newspapers were writing that the lucky winner had to get a special dispensation to withdraw his jackpot prize!
Top 3 Extra Tips to Help you Decide on a Payment Method
Need further help with the various casino payment methods in UK? Here’s five tips that can help you make your choice.
1. Security is paramount
Ultimately, you have to protect your sensitive financial data from hackers and those with bad intentions whenever you pay for an item online, and casino gaming is no different.
Only use the most secure options from our payment methods list above, and only play at licensed and regulated casinos overseen by the UK Gambling Commission.
2. Speed is a factor
While arguably not as important as security, speed is still key for players who want to deposit and play within the blink of an eye.
Not all online casino payment methods are equally fast at transferring funds from the casino back to the player, so be sure to read the rest of this CasinoHawks guide for more information.
3. Make it work for you
Any payment method you take on must work for you in all aspects of your life.
Some will favour transfers over debit, whereas other players will prefer the ease of use of an e-wallet.
If you have a retailer close to you, even prepaid cards could be the best option if you want to minimise your digital footprint and keep your personal data safe.
How to place a deposit and withdraw your winnings
Placing a deposit and withdrawing your winnings should be quite simple. While these processes differ from casino site to casino site, here are the most common ways to place a deposit and withdraw your winnings at a casino site.
How to place a deposit
It is important to remember that most casino sites only allow individuals to make a deposit once they are logged in.
After logging in, you should locate the deposit option on your account, select your preferred payment method and follow the on-screen instructions.
How to withdraw your winnings
Withdrawing your winnings may be a slower process, depending on the casino site at which you wish to withdraw your winnings, and the payment method used.
Using the same payment method you used when placing a deposit may make the process faster.
Search for the “withdraw” button on your account, select your preferred payment method, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Did you know?
Some casino sites have open banking available to players. This way, both you and the casino site you decide to play at can look forward to quick and transparent transactions.