Apple Pay Casinos
Bank Transfer Casinos
Instant Banking Casinos
Paysafe Card Casinos
Rapid Transfer Casinos
How Secure are your Payment Details when Playing at an Online Casino?
Nowadays, just about everyone has paid for an item online from the likes of Amazon or eBay. Making that possible are payment methods such as debit cards and e-wallets. A wide variety of payment methods exist – and the best online casinos accept a diverse selection!
Here at Casino Hawks, our casino reviews promote the safest sites that are licensed by the authority, the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC). Together with reputable payment options, this will ensure you a safe gaming experience.
Most Common Payment Methods Online in the UK
The most common online casino payment methods fall under three broad categories – debit cards, e-wallets, and bank transfers (keep in mind that credit card payments are no longer allowed in the UK).
Here is a list of the most popular casino payment methods for UK players:
|Payment Service Provider||Type||Average Deposit Time||Average Withdrawal Time||Provider’s Transaction Fees|
|VISA Debit||debit card||10 minutes||2 days||2%|
|Mastercard Debit||debit card||15 minutes||3 days||1.5%|
|PayPal||e-wallet||10 minutes||Up to 24 hours||0%|
|Skrill||e-wallet||10 minutes||Up to 24 hours||1%|
|Neteller||e-wallet||10 minutes||Up to 24 hours||2.5%|
|PaysafeCard||prepaid card||10 minutes||no withdrawals possible||0%|
|Bank Transfer||Bank Transfer||30 minutes||2-4 days||depends on the bank|
|Casino Payment Methods: Did You Know?|
|A casino site worth its salt should offer a good range of payment methods, with the most common being Visa Debit, Mastercard, and Paypal.|
The Different Types of Payment Methods
As you can see above, there are many different types of casino payment methods, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. There are also payment methods that are perhaps harder to define, if still worth your consideration.
Below, you’ll find a list of the payment methods that are most popular with British casino players – specifically for their speed, security, and ease of use.
- Debit Cards
- Mobile Apps
- Bank Transfers
- Prepaid Cards and Vouchers
The most widely-used online casino payment methods, debit cards remain the gold standard for their processing speeds and the added security they bring.
However, we need to emphasise that due to changes in gambling regulation, as of the 14th of April 2020 Credit cards can no longer be used for casino payments in UK.
● Visa– Arguably the most accepted payment method by online casinos, Visa offers speed of deposit and safety. Deposit using a Visa debit card, and your funds will hit your casino account almost instantly. There’s also the additional security of Visa Secure (formerly known as Verified by Visa), which is very welcome.
● Mastercard– It should be noted that you can usually only deposit into a casino account using a MasterCard debit card. Withdrawals are typically not accepted via your Mastercard, meaning you may need to choose a different payment method to take out your winnings.
However, it is still smart to use MasterCard as your deposit option, thanks to its rapid transaction speeds and the added security of the SecureCode enhanced safety features.
● Maestro – Like MasterCard, it’s rare that you can make a withdrawal from an online casino using your Maestro. However, deposits are typically free, and you’ll have to use your unique SecureCode to action a payment, which adds a layer of security to the process.
● Interac – While most commonly used in Canada, Interac is available from some UK banking institutions. It basically acts as a ‘middle man’ between your bank account and your chosen casino site.
Interac is considered ultra-secure, since you never have to reveal your bank details to the casino. In addition, all transactions are protected by the security features installed by both the casino site and your bank.
● AstroPay Card – This is a prepaid debit card where you fund your card using your bank details before then making a deposit into a casino account. Again, there’s no need to share your sensitive personal banking data when using AstroPay, and that’s why this payment method appeals to so many players.
While increasingly popular with internet users seeking anonymity in their payments, cryptocurrencies remain, as a rule, unavailable in casino sites licenced by the UKGC. They are not wholly banned, but the measures they have to comply with make them near-impossible to use.
● Bitcoin – If a casino accepts cryptocurrency as a payment method, it is most likely that Bitcoin will be top of the list. This is the most common form of digital currency, and while deposits/withdrawals may take longer to process than other forms of payment, they are at least safe and completely anonymous.
● Ethereum – This is the leading ‘alt coin’ to Bitcoin. Ethereum offers many of the same benefits as its chief rival – namely security and anonymity – and is a recognised way to spend your ETH.
● Ripple – While not as widely accepted as Bitcoin and Ethereum, some casino sites will let you use your Ripple – also known as XRP – to deposit and withdraw into and from your account.
● Stellar – Another fairly uncommon but still welcome payment method is Stellar, the provider of the cryptocurrency known as XLM. You can deposit and withdraw funds using this coin.
Where speed is key, e-wallets are often the choice of casino gamers. Deposits are often instantaneous, allowing you to get up and running with your favourite games quickly. Withdrawals also tend to be quicker compared to other casino payment methods.
● PayPal – The most popular choice for UK players is PayPal, an ultra-secure e-wallet that offers both rapid payments and fee-free deposits.
● Skrill – Formerly known as MoneyBookers, you can fund your Skrill account in a number of different ways. This payment method is accepted by the vast majority of casino sites.
● Neteller – Devised specifically for online gaming, Neteller remains a leading online casino payment method. You can deposit and withdraw with Neteller in good time, too.
● Much Better– an award-winning payment app and e-wallet that is increasing in popularity worldwide, Much Better is a secure payment method that promises “fast transactions, smooth withdrawals and exclusive rewards“
● Jeton – Jeton is an easy-to-use e-wallet based in the UK that’s gaining in popularity across online casinos. This payment is safe and fully regulated, and charges no fees for either deposits or withdrawals.
● Revolut – Unfortunately, while Revolut is a popular mobile payment app, it cannot be used in online casinos. This is due to its suspending all gambling transactions back in April 2020. That said, you can still use Revolut in online casinos by creating a virtual Visa or MasterCard debit card with which to make your payments.
● Pay by Phone – This ingenious payment method is little known by many. It lets you deposit into your casino accounts using your phone bill, with the amount simply appearing on your next bill. You cannot withdraw using Pay by Phone.
● Zimpler – This handy app lets you connect your bank and casino accounts together without sharing any sensitive data. It’s quick and secure, and keeps you safe when spending online.
● PayPal Mobile App – PayPal has its own dedicated app, and that increases your security online by adding a passcode into the mix
● Skrill App – You can control your Skrill account online or on the purpose-built app, depositing and withdrawing funds with the minimum of fuss.
● Neteller App – If you want a dedicated Neteller solution that doesn’t require you to fire up your internet browser, you can always download their app and make transactions from your phone.
● Boku – If ultimate security is what you’re looking for, how about Boku? This way you only need to share your mobile phone number with your online casino!
While some consider them old-fashioned in an age of ultra-fast card and e-wallet transactions, bank transfers are reliable and secure. As such, they are ideal for those who don’t want to use their debit cards for gaming purposes.
● Bank Transfers – While not necessarily the quickest form of online payment, bank transfers are at least incredibly safe as they use the extra security protocol that your financial institution has implemented. Many casino sites accept fast bank transfers, a process which – as you’ve probably guessed – accelerates the process somewhat.
● Wire Transfers – A wire transfer is essentially the same as a bank transfer, although, in this case, your funds would typically be sent internationally rather than from one UK bank account to another.
● Trustly – Trustly is actually a technology provider used by the likes of PayPal to conduct payments, but they also have their own product that casino gamers can use as one of their preferred payment methods.
● iDEAL – This banking option is an e-commerce platform that’s widely used in the Netherlands, which redirects customers to their online banking in order to complete payments
● Giropay – Another traditional bank transfer platform, Giropay is hugely popular in Germany, where it is used as an intermediary between banking institutions and online casino sites.
● POLi Payments – Australia and New Zealand’s bank transfer system of choice. POLi is a ‘pay anyone’ platform that brings together your bank and casino in a secure environment.
Prepaid Cards, Coupons, and Vouchers
When topping up your casino account, it gets no safer than with a prepaid card or voucher. With these, you don’t share your bank details or debit card number with a third party.
Instead, your voucher will have a unique code that you simply enter in your dashboard to make a deposit into your gaming account.
● Paysafecard – With so many sites accepting paysafecard, this is truly one of the most common online casino payment methods. Simply purchase a card online or via a local retailer in your town, and then redeem the value of the card at the casino operator using the unique 16-digit code.
● Payz – Payz have partnered with MasterCard to deliver their contactless card – the EcoCard. This allows you to send money online instantly. You can apply for an EcoCard without the need for a bank account.
|Casino Payment Methods: Did You Know?|
|The first digital payment system was created by Coca-Cola in 1997! It allowed people to buy soft drinks from a pair of vending machines installed in Helsinki by simply sending a text message.|
Solutions to Common Casino Payment Issues
While the payments process is typically straightforward when depositing or withdrawing at an online casino, you may occasionally stumble upon a problem or two. Here’s a quick look at the solutions to the most common issues:
1. I cannot verify my payment methods…
All of the information you need regarding verification is housed within your account dashboard at your chosen casino site. Search for your payment method name there, or check your inbox to see if the casino has a messaging service.
2. I can’t change the payment method on my account…
You should find a section dedicated to managing your payment methods online within your dashboard. You can change your primary payment method there.
3. I can’t remove my debit card from my account…
Within your account dashboard, you will see that you can modify or even delete options from your payment methods list.
4. In-game deposits from my mobile are not working…
Don’t panic, but don’t try to repeatedly make a deposit – more than one payment may ultimately go through. Your best option is to wait for a few minutes, since sometimes the issue may be at the operator’s end. Failing that, contact customer support directly.
5. I requested a withdrawal to my card. Why are the funds still available in my balance?
In this instance, the withdrawal probably hasn’t been actioned – this can happen on rare occasions. Simply request the withdrawal again or contact customer support for more information.
6. My latest deposit hasn’t been added to my account…
Sometimes deposits don’t happen instantly, so patience is your best tactic here. If the issue persists for 24 hours or more, contact customer support to check if they have a timeline or whether the payment has been received. DON’T deposit again unless you are happy to have two lots of money deposited into your account.
7. I am unable to withdraw my winnings…
There are a number of reasons why you might not be able to withdraw your winnings – most casino bonuses come with wagering requirements that need to be cleared first.
Check that your withdrawal amount is within the minimum/maximum withdrawal amount, and remember that not all payment methods actually allow withdrawals – some are deposit only. If in doubt, contact customer support.
8. I can’t cancel my withdrawal…
You can cancel a casino withdrawal until the casino processes your transaction and sends the funds to your bank or onto your card. Following that, unfortunately withdrawals cannot be cancelled, and you will have to deposit once again.
9. I didn’t receive my winnings in full…
Here’s another reminder that casino bonuses have unique terms and conditions, which mean that you might not be able to withdraw all the money you want to. Always read the T&Cs of an offer before accepting a promotion! Contact customer support if your winnings have been earned during regular play and not a bonus.
|Casino Payments: Did you know?|
|The biggest online casino win in history is nearly £16 million on the Mega Fortune slot game. Newspapers were writing that the lucky winner had to get a special dispensation to withdraw his jackpot prize!|
8 Extra Tips to Help you Decide on a Casino Payment Method
Need more help with the various casino payment methods available in the UK? Here are eight tips that can help you make the choice that’s right for you.
- If you travel and play from time to time abroad, make sure that the payment method you like to use will be available overseas.
- Check the speed of transactions – after all, speed is key for players who want to start playing immediately!
- Check the deposit limits.
- Make sure to use the same method when you both deposit and withdraw in order to avoid any inconveniences.
- Have a look at the possible fees when using a specific payment method – these can be charged by either the casino or the payment provider (or both)!
- Check if the casino’s bonuses are tied to a particular payment method.
- Consider creating a payment account dedicated to online gambling.
- Check if the casino uses the proper security protection when doing a transaction (the little padlock icon in your browser’s address bar).
How to place a deposit and withdraw your winnings
Placing a deposit and withdrawing your winnings should be quite simple. While these processes differ from casino site to casino site, here are the most common ways to place a deposit and withdraw your winnings at a casino site.
How to place a deposit
Not all online casinos follow the same steps, so consider this as a general guide:
- Log into your account (or create one if you don’t have one)
- Go to the cashier section of your account
- Select the “Deposit” option
- Select your payment method
- Input the amount you want to deposit
- Input your payment details so that the online casino links your account with your payment method
- Confirm the details you entered
- Select “Submit”
How to withdraw your winnings
Once again, not all casinos follow these steps, so this is a general guide:
- Log into your account if you haven’t
- Go to the cashier section of your account
- Select the “Withdraw” option
- Enter the amount you want to withdraw
- Select the payment method you want your withdrawal to go to
- Input your payment details
- Confirm all details
- Select “Submit”
|Casino Payment Methods: Did You Know?|
|Some casino sites have open banking available to players. This way, both you and the casino site you decide to play at can look forward to quick and transparent transactions.|
Casino Payments, Made Easy!
Now that you know just about everything to know about casino payment methods, you’re all set to find the one that’s best for you! Some allow for faster payments, while others promise anonymity, so check your needs before committing.
Regardless of your choice, the best UK casino sites should offer a wide variety of payment methods, allowing you to deposit and withdraw using the most convenient option!